Thursday, December 22, 2005

Sex and the city

Ever wondered whether single life in the Big Apple is really like what they showed in the show? If this story, which I suspect you already know, is representative, then the show is a pretty good depiction of the reality.

Why I suspect you know about this will become apparent in a minute, but first the story.

1. The boy sends this e-mail to the girl.

So are you off to the Bon Jovi show tonight in Times Square? Sounds like it is going to some turnout. What division of audit are you in for PWC? Are you heading out tonight? A friend of mine is leaving for MBA School in France so, he is throwing himself a going away party at Park, ever been? What are the plans for this weekend, recovery from the long weekend or adding just a little more hurt to the situation?

TTFN,

2. The girl forwards the e-mail to a friend, with the following added.

Ok first-here is the e-mail I received from …., the new guy I met last week. If you want to go out, perhaps we can get him to pay for drinks at Park. Since we have not slept together, he will of course be trying to impress me and will, therefore, do anything I ask. Unlike John, who fell asleep during sex last night. I went over to his place last night around 11:30. We started having sex. When I noticed his eyes were closed for a little too long, I said “John wake up.” At which, point he shot up saying “what’d I miss.” Yes, I think that is a new low.

Let me know about tonight. I think you need company.

3. Except, instead of hitting forward, the girl hits reply.

4. The guy forwards the conversation to his friends, who forward it to theirs, and so on.

Please, read my email first. Then read her email, I think that she was forwarding my email to a friend but hit reply instead. You will love this.

So why do I think you probably already have it? Well, the first e-mail was sent at 10.01am on 5 September 2002. The bungled reply was at 10.48am. I received it in a few days, and there were 32 degrees of separation between the participants and I. Suppose at every degree, the mail was forwarded to only two people. In 32 rounds, the mail would have reached nearly 4.3 billion people. That is, anyone and everyone with the access to the internet would probably have received the mail.

I wonder if the girl had ever had another date.